An Italian summer treat: caffè shakerato
The Tuscan sun is finally beating down, giving us some warm summer days here in Siena. The start of the summer season means it's time to enjoy the cool and refreshing Italian treat of a caffè shakerato! There's really no better pick-me-up on a hot day!
If you don't have an Italian coffee bar around the corner from you, you can also try your hand making yourself a caffè shakerato at home. All you need is an Italian espresso maker, a cocktail shaker, and some ice! Here's the super-simple recipe.
- Put 6 or 7 ice cubes in a cocktail shaker
- If you like your coffee with some sugar, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of sugar (optional depending on your taste.)
- Prepare a long espresso and pour it over the ice.
- Close the shaker securely and shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds (some people prefer to shake even longer to get a nice and frothy caffè shakerato.
- Open the shaker and pour it into a cocktail cup holding the ice with the special colander.